Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lesson 2: Christmas in January - Fruit Cake and Madeleines

Today's lesson was quite a handful! We were taught how to make things like Fruit Cake, Marble Pound Cake, Apple Strudel filling and dough, rum raisins, chocolate cookies (I think that's all!)

For practical lesson today we had first make the fruit cake, then bake the madeleine from the mixture that we have prepared the day before. You know those fruit cakes soaked with rum which they eat for christmas? I would say it is quite tough looking at Chef Geraldine's demonstration as there were a lot of steps required to make this fruit cake. And for today, I changed my note-taking strategy slightly by taking down every single detail (like which tool to use - spatula or whisks) as from the first practical I realized that I forgot a lot of things even though I thought I would remember. And the fact that they have a translator to translate what the chef said to thai, it gives me just enough time to take down proper notes.

Here is how my cake and madeleines look like! I was quite amazed that I was able to bake this (as I have never baked this before!) and quite happy with the results actually! Today's practical lesson was with our demo chef Chef Geraldine instead of yesterday's Chef Am. And I found that they have quite different styles. I would say that Chef Geraldine is stricter compared to Chef Am and changing from that class to this class, there were slightly different rules and regulations.
Li Lian's Fruit Cake and Madeleines!

Chef's Madeleines aka French 鸡蛋仔

Chef's Fruit Cake

The comment about my madeleines was that it was not of even sizes. Yeah I expected that as I didn't do my piping that well :o) but it was a good experience for me as I have not piped anything before! The fruit cake glaze was also lumpy and Chef's comment was that we had to add some water to the glaze and heat it up! Also we were told to be more organized and clean while making our pastry.

Another tiring but fulfilling day! Only two pieces of fruit cake and two madeleines left at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment