Monday, January 30, 2012

Lesson 4: Fruit Tart

Last week was a very tiring week! Touched down from KL at about 10.30pm at night on Monday and had to go to school early on Tuesday. So was like a zombie almost the whole of last week and only updating my blog this week!

I can't really remember what we did in demo as I did not bring my file back, so I will just touch on the practical part of the class. Today, we used the dough (pate sucre) that we did before last week to make our fruit tart. We first bake the pastry and then fill it with yummy pastry cream before topping it with fruits which we scooped up with our parisian scoop. Like I mentioned before, Le Cordon Bleu has a very strict system. We had Chef Am today, and for some reason, the diverted slightly from the practical flow that our demo chef Geraldine mentioned. One of the important points mentioned was that we need to put the baking of the pastry as a priority as it takes quite a long time. So when Chef Geraldine walked in (she was supervising the class next door), she saw that we have not started baking yet. We were all doing stuff 'other' than baking! So she stopped all of us, and told us off basically, that if we do not follow the practical flow, no point coming to her class. And even though all the chefs guiding us are very qualified, they wouldn't know the flow because they have not attended her classes. So we all started to follow strictly to the flow. Definitely learnt our lesson here.

I was quite satisfied with my fruit tart, except for the glaze part. The glaze was lumpy and made the tart look pretty ugly! We also prepared the pastry for our apple tart the next day. When I prepared the apple tart pastry, i actually measured the butter wrongly, so I had to redo it again (too much butter!). Beginning of a very bad week for me I would say! More mistakes to come!

Fruit Tart (The perfect one by Chef Geraldine)

Fruit Tart (With some lumpy glaze by me)

Panya gave me a rating of 7. Even though it is lumpy, but the taste is still not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment