Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lesson 10: Mille-Feuille and Flan Pattisier

Finally, we have come to the final lesson of puff pastry! I think by this lesson I was a bit sick of puff pastry already and I totally did not eat the products that I made today! But am glad its over and we learnt all the foldings and whats nots! Chef said that next will be beard papa lessons! Or Choux Pastries! So am excited about that!

For this class, we first had to make the Flan, which what I think is like a giant portuguese egg tart! After that, we made the Mille-Feuille which was basically a sandwich of puff pastry with raspberry jam in between.

For the flan, the highlight was the pastry cream (the egg filling of the tart). We bake the tart base first, and then proceeded with the very hot pastry cream filling before baking it again together with the pastry cream. The important thing about this tart is that we have to fill the pastry cream when it is very very hot so that the pastry cream does not get hardened. For the tart base, we used the leftover puff pastry from the previous lesson. The tart was ok overall I would say, but the sides of the tart was not even. A big portion of the tart shrunk a lot during baking. Chef Am told us that this was ok as we did not have much time to let the tart base rest before baking, hence the shrinking.

Here is how my giant egg tart looks like in comparison to Chef Geraldine's! Giving me an inspiration to make traditional chinese egg tarts though, which i think i will like better than this one!

Flan by Chef Geraldine

Flan by Li Lian

Next, we moved on to do the Mille-Feuille which is what i call the sandwich puff pastry. The most tricky thing to doing this is cutting the Mille-Feuille into perfect 8 x 8 cm squares! I don't think I did a good job though as the crusts kept coming out when I was cutting this. Here are my not-so-perfect squares.

Mille-Feuille by Chef Geraldine (Perfect Squares)

Not so perfect Mille-Feuille by Li Lian

No ratings from Panya for this as I have distributed all of them before Panya got a chance to eat it! He did manage to eat a bit of the Mille-Feuille though, but I will skip the ratings for this round!

No comments:

Post a Comment